Sunday 13 September 2015

MY VERY OWN GOLIATHS by Daisy Waitherero Wambua

The real identity of this person shall not be revealed due to security and mortification purposes.

My life as a drug peddler

Which substances do you deal with?
I do not have a limitation as to what I put in the market but on a daily basis I sell weed. It does exceptionally well at all times, I suffer little to non-losses.

Is this the ‘career’ path that you wanted to take?
No, Not at all. I would wish the circumstances were different and I would be the president (he giggles) but life has a way of giving you lemons and I decided to make drugs out of it. My background is definitely the root cause of what I am doing today, I lost both of my parents when I was very young so I live with my grandmother who is the sole provider; she can barely make two ends meet. I ventured into hawking, washing cars even a public toilet cleaner but none paid off.



How much do you make on a daily basis?
(Chuckles) I make close to three thousand a day on a very good day and it’s always a good day. But it goes down to one thousand five hundred float because you have to pay your mignons and it’s crucial that the police get their fair share. In a month I can bring home fifty thousand just from selling pot only.

Selling illegal drugs is risky business, why not start up a shop instead?
It is a risky business. The police are not even the ones who pose the threat, doing jail time does not scare me one bit, it’s the veterans and the publics that give me shivers. You can get killed at any time once they feel you are threatening their market. Opening a shop is a good idea but it’s just not for me. I am not cut out for that kind of business. I want to pay rent for one structure and that’s for me and my family, I can’t keep on checking expiry dates of milk and bread or asking suppliers to drop off a new stock. However, it’s something I can consider once I find a wife. (Smiles)



How is it that you balance school and your businesses?
School is actually my core business. I thank God for being so kind and allowing me the opportunity to learn and to get sponsors who have helped me all through. I am in second year right now pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Balancing the two is as easy as eating peanuts. You would find students make fifty percent of my customers, twenty percent are lecturers and the remaining are workers and locals. The two support each other.

Clearly you have wits and the papers to prove it so is it a lifestyle that you have acquired or a necessity?
I do realize that with my level of education, it’s ironical that I am venturing into the ‘wrong’ path as many would say but what people don’t see is that I have a family to take care of. I have been taking care of my grandma and siblings since I was seven. I may not be using the correct channels to put food on the table but that’s not the matter in hand. I was blessed enough to get sponsors but the two siblings following me have found a hard time . Food must be put on the table, books on their desks, clothes on their backs and shoes on their feet. It is a lifestyle yes and a necessary one.

No given today that you are provided with everything you need, you and your family, would you consider quitting?
I would consider leaving the practice but it is not as easy. If I happen to leave this life, I would be causing mayhem amongst many people. Especially with the police. They get a certain cut so as not to lock me down and if it so happens they do not get that cut, I am not sure what will happen to me and my family. In this line of work, you cannot just up and leave anytime you want, you are answerable to many people.
Do you ever regret doing what you are doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment